Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Society's All Lit Up

Drugs are now unavoidable in our society. They can be found at schools, in music, at parties- just about anywhere. Information regarding them can be easily accessed via the Internet.
 

Most modern music is either about or mentions drug usage. Music probably holds most of the influence on drug usage- since recreational drug usage can be found at just about all modern music events. People listen to these songs from the radio, hear them from other people, or get caught on the tune. Listeners then associate the substances with the descriptions and usages provided in the songs, or want to repeat what is described in the song.


Since teenagers now have an extreme amount of stress and peer pressure on them, they'll do almost anything to try to fit in or escape their stress.

 
Here are just some of the many popular songs focused on drug usage:

  • "Stay High" by Tove Lo is about how drugs were used to escape the pain of a break up.


"You're gone and I gotta stay high
All the time to keep you off my mind....
High all the time to keep you off my mind Spend my days locked in a haze
Trying to forget you babe, I fall back down I gotta stay high all my life to
forget I'm missing you..."




  • The song "Pursuit of Happiness", by Kid Cudi, focuses on finding happiness- through drug usage.

"Crush a bit, little bit,
Roll it up, take a hit,
Feeling lit, feeling right,
2 A-M, summer night, I don't care,
Hand on the wheel,
Driving drunk I'm doing my thang"


 
 
  • "I Don't Believe You" by G-Eazy describes the parties that he attended on his tours and the drugs and other activities that he did at them, in addition to mocking people who aren't used to using the drugs that he does.
 
"You don't turn up like we do
Say you do?
I don't believe you
It's, four In the morning I'm looking for drugs
Already faded increasing my buzz
Working it odd I'll be at the clubs
Every weekend this is what I does
I know that you think that you party like us in a similar fashion
But I spent a rack on these jeans that I'm holding my stash in..."
(WARNING: Explicit lyrics) 
 
 

 
 
If most drugs, like weed, are supposed to be illegal, why are they so involved within music? When a singer has a song about drugs, aren't they basically proclaiming their usage of illegal substances- in addition to encouraging the usage of those illegal substances? How do these people obtain these "illegal" drugs? What kinds of drugs are available? How are these drugs produced, and how are they able to be so widely distributed if they're supposed to be illegal?


 Since I haven't actually used any drugs myself, I've wondered what exactly makes drugs so addicting to some people? Do they really make people feel better, or do people just pretend that they do, in order to fit in better with others? What exactly do people experience when they consume different kinds of drugs?
 

Drug usage is especially popular among teenagers. Teenagers get introduced to drugs- either by hearing about it in music or through other people. As a result, many teens now believe that the only way to have a good time, be in the times, or to relieve stress is by taking drugs. What kinds of effects do drugs have on these people? Are drugs necessarily harmful to people? Do they have any positive qualities? When exactly did drugs become the trend among teenagers? How many teens are active users of drugs? How many teens have at least just tried drugs?
 
I believe that people should be given more freedom in drug usage. The only harm that drug users are doing is all on themselves. We're in charge of our own bodies, so we should be the ones to decide whether to damage them or not. Unless the usage of a drug has been proven to harms people other than the person consenting to use it, the drug shouldn't be illegal. Rather than spending energy on attempting to catch drug users, authorities should concentrate more on other crimes- therefore making society safer overall. Are there any pro-drug use movements that are currently active? Will there be more freedom given to drug usage in the future because so many people are now using them? How much freedom will be given- will only certain drugs be prohibited, or will they all be allowed to be consumed?
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment