Thursday, May 14, 2015

trippy endings

I've never seen or talked to my grandfather for my entire life.

No, he's not dead. He's still alive.

When my dad was about six years old, my grandfather abandoned his family. He was driven to do so as a result his addiction to alcohol. This addiction almost destroyed my dad's family. My dad was forced to live fatherless and in poverty.

This is only one example out of countless of how drugs can impact people.

People can be swayed to do drugs from several factors: having a large amount of drugs available, their close friends and family doing them, peer pressure, and stress. They can be taken in pill form, snorted up the nose, smoked, or injected directly and they're now widely available and in everything from our music to our schools.

Our society has now became so dependent on drugs that almost all of our music contains it. Drugs are described, used to make comparisons, and usage is bragged about.

There are so many other activities to do besides drugs, why can't our society get off our phones and stop doing drugs?

By the time that they graduate high school, about half of teenagers have at least tried some form of a drug. This is especially harmful because people are most likely to become addicted when they're teenagers.

To prevent more teens from becoming addicted, schools should promote saying no to drugs throughout the students' school careers, rather than just primarily when they're in elementary school.

When I began my research on my topic, I thought that people could just choose stop taking drugs and that anyone who was addicted was just choosing to be so.

What most people, like me at the beginning of my research, don't understand fully is how deeply an addiction can attach itself to a person. Once a person is addicted to a drug, they can't just voluntarily choose to stop using the drug due to relapses. In order to end the relapses, several years of treatment must be taken.This process can last the whole rest of the addict's life.

Drug addiction can't just disappear- it takes a huge amount of time and effort.

Once I became aware of how serious drug addiction was, my views on drug usage changed completely. Before this project, I was totally open to trying a drug. Now, I wouldn't dare to use one out of fear that I would find it appealing and become addicted.

Ironically, I had an opportunity to do a form of a drug after finishing my research. While before I probably would've gladly taken the chance, I declined to take it.

I'm appreciative of how this project has influenced my lifestyle and I hope that it has positively influenced yours as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment